Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 9, 2017

All's Faire in Middle School, by Victoria Jamieson. Dial, Penguin Random House. 2017. $17.99 ages 10 and up

"Once I was in the right wing, I found my locker and opened it with no problem ... on the fifth try. I found my first-period classroom and made it on time. I picked my seat. Not far enough back to be a "bad" kid. Not close enough to the front to be a teacher's pet. I sort of felt like a ghost all morning as I floated from class to class. All the other kids seemed to know each other already."

Middle graders are going to love this new graphic novel from Victoria Jamieson, who won a Newbery Honor for Roller Girl (Dial, 2015). I think I like this one better, and that is saying a lot. I loved Roller Girl.

Imogene and her family perform at an annual Renaissance Faire in Florida. They are immersed in the language, events, and world that surrounds them. Her dad is a knight, her mom runs a gift shop, and Imogene is finally a squire in training. She knows her place in the faire family, and works hard along with the others to make it a worthwhile experience for those who come to be entertained and to learn more about Renaissance life.

Up until now, Imogene has been schooled at home. Her sixth grade year will be her first in a public school. It is scary and disconcerting. Her first weeks play out as one might expect if you know how middle school works. It is a difficult time, to say the least. She makes friends with a mean girl and her crew, until she can't keep up with the shifting trends and they decide she isn't worthy of their attention or friendship. She hurts another girl who might have been a friend. She even treats her younger brother badly. Imogene's reaction to the changes in her life make her miserable and cause tension with those who love her.

"All along I thought I was the knight in the story, doing good and fighting evil. But really, I was the dragon.”

She finds it better to be by herself than with others for a period of time. With needed support from friends and family, Imogene is able to carve a new path for herself. Those interested in graphic novels will find appealing characters, witty conversation and a story that resonates with action-filled scenes. It is a tale that includes wise counsel, friendship, bullying, school, and love of family. The art is wonderful, and will have readers poring over its expressive, often humorous panels.

Watch for it to be on the Newbery list this year! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment